July 16, 2020

Review: Spark Joy: An Illustrated Guide to the Japanese Art of Tidying

Spark Joy: An Illustrated Guide to the Japanese Art of Tidying Spark Joy: An Illustrated Guide to the Japanese Art of Tidying by Marie Kondō
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I liked this one better than the first book (The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing) because besides the explanation with respect to the basic principles of this method, this book also contains illustrations for folding and also for storing ideas. I also liked that this time the category "komono" was split up into many subcategories to give you an idea. Of course, you must define your categories on your own depending on what kind of things you have in your home. Many people disagree with the idea of getting rid of books, and I also have a lot of books in my library. But this book made it clear for me that it doesn't make sense keeping books that don't spark joy in your life. The main aim is to decide what you want to keep (getting rid of things is the result). So, for example, books that I did not finish, found boring, or even hated, or cookbooks in which recipes contained mistakes that I was very disappointed about or which consisted recipes for which ingredients were hard to find, definitely do not spark joy for me; hence, they must go. It is also made clear here that getting as far as selecting the things that spark joy in each and every category is not an easy task and cannot be done in one day only. This books helps you with developing a plan for that daunting task.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier My rating: 3 of 5 stars It isn’t easy to review this book. I have been a lo...