July 16, 2020

Review: More Perfect than the Moon

More Perfect than the Moon More Perfect than the Moon by Patricia MacLachlan
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was not as happy with this one as with the previous books. I liked the topic of the book: Sarah is pregnant, and Cassie is going to get a younger sibling, which she is anything, but happy about it. I could sympathize with her feelings and I believe many parents must face this problem, especially, if there is a huge age gap (8 years in this case) and the older child has got used to being the princess of the family. My problem is that I was not happy with the resolution, there wasn't really a resolution at all: life just solved it. Also, Sarah seemed too passive in her role, she just kept smiling... I understand that a mother loves her baby, even if the baby is bad, but I got to know Sarah as a kind of mother who if needed would be strict with her child or at least who would be very sad about this kind of behaviour. The other thing that bothered me was that I got confused with respect to this timeline. Cassie is 8 years old, so it's been 8 years since Maggie and Matthew left. In this book, it seems they have just returned but are talking about being only gone for 2 years. This is very confusing. Finally, I didn't like in the previous book either, but in this even less, the frequent references to the previous books and quoting their texts word for word. It is unnecessary, especially if the book is only 80 pages or so long. It makes the impression the author has nothing new to say, keeps repeating herself. All in all, I can only give 2,5 stars for this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier My rating: 3 of 5 stars It isn’t easy to review this book. I have been a lo...