July 16, 2020

Review: Sarah, Plain and Tall

Sarah, Plain and Tall Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This has been on my wish list ever since my joining Goodreads 8 years ago. I adore the movie series with Glenn Close, and when I learned it is based on books, it was obvious that I would purchase them. My only problem was, I wanted to get hardcover editions, but it is hard to get any. Then, yesterday, upon finishing and being shocked by the ending of I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, I knew I needed something cheerful, so I purchased the Kindle edition of the whole series.

This is book one in the series, in which we get to know the whole family, and Sarah comes to be a wife and a mother for them. I am great fan of any books set on the prairie or on a farm, and all the characters are simply loveable. Papa is very different from the character in the movie – less melancholic, more open – but I understand that the director wanted to emphasize his sorrow due to his first wife’s death. It was a quick read, if I had children it would be wonderful to read this book together with them. You can feel the family’s sadness because of their loss, and the relationship between them and Sarah develops gradually, but the whole book has a very positive vibe, you believe in the end that there’s hope, there’re second chances. My only problem with this book was that it was too short. Luckily, the other books in the series are still to be read, and they are somewhat longer.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier My rating: 3 of 5 stars It isn’t easy to review this book. I have been a lo...