February 20, 2013

The Classics Club: The Classics Spin #2

On Monday, The Classics Club announced the lucky number for our Classics Spin lists, which is #14. And, the book that corresponds to this number on my Spin List is The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.


To be honest, I have had this book on my shelf for five years! So it's about time that I read it, isn't it? I have been a real procrastinator as regards this book... Why? It's because I'm afraid of it. I have read and truly love Oscar Wilde's brilliant and humorous plays, The Importance of Being Ernest and The Ideal Husband. And, deep inside of me I know that it's a CLASSIC, a must read, etc. I also know that this novel is on of the favourite books of Adam over at Roof Beam Reader, and he has a good taste. But, I'm afraid of it, because as I mentioned in an earlier post, I am not particularly fond of tragic stories, I don't like experiencing physical pain.

Nevertheless, I will take up this challenge and will be reading this classic throughout March, because I am sure that it must serve a purpose that fortune/God or whoever has made me read this book now. So, I am determined to finish The Picture of Dorian Gray by the end of March and I’ll try to post my thoughts on it sometime in April.

4 comments:

  1. Huft.. I wacthed Dorian Grey once and i spent most of the film with my eyes closed. I am so afraid of such stories, and I'm afraid of sad endings as well. But I'm going to read the Importance of Being Earnest and Ideal Husband somewhere in this year..

    Enjoy your reading..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now you made me shiver with fear at the thought of reading it! :-D Anyway, I'm jumping into the cold water!

      Delete
  2. I recently read Dorian Gray. I first read the book decades ago as a teen and enjoyed the story but wanted to make the dive again since so many years have passed.

    My first inclination is to tell you to not be afraid. Of course everyone's imagination and what they bring to the story is different but I'm not sure Wilde is one of those authors who set out to play with your heartstrings as much as with your mind. Not to say you don't get involved or care but the style is quite different.

    The dialogue really brought the characters to life. So much so there were times when I felt as though I was literally watching the story play out on a stage in my mind.

    For me, Wilde gave me more to think about as I turned the pages. He's tackling big issues.

    Is this a rosy book with a glorious, happy ending? No. Do bad things happen to good people? Yes. But those and the question of good and evil are the things he is talking about. I guess I'd say don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone.

    I put off reading Moby Dick for decades only to tackle it over the last few months when I participated in the Moby Dick Big Read. I thought I would hate the book, find it boring, have to push myself to turn the pages, and pretty much hate the experience.

    I was wrong. Dead wrong. Instead I actually found Melville to have quite a sense of humor, the story to be vivid and compelling, and the information on whales, whaling and the times quite interesting. I'm really glad I finally picked up the book and stayed with it.

    What's the worst that could happen? I say give Dorian a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vikk! A BIG thanks for your long and thoughtful comment! In the meantime, I conquered my fear and finished The Picture of Dorian Gray! And I'm so happy I did! It was really good, and I didn't wish for a different ending. It ended as it must have ended! I hope I can write my review soon! Thanks again for stopping by and giving me the push I needed!

      Delete

Review: Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier My rating: 3 of 5 stars It isn’t easy to review this book. I have been a lo...